Sultanas are dried grapes, usually white grapes but are from seedless varieties, differing to that of a raisin and current. Because if they are dried, they have become highly concentrated in natural cources of energy, vitamins, electrolytes and minerals. They are also a rich source for poly phenolics, anti-oxidants, dietry fibre and other phyto-nutrients.
Health benefits of Sultanas:
- -Sultanas, like dried apricots, figs and prunes, are rich sources of energy, vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants. 100g of sultanas provide 249 calories, several times more fiber, vitamins, minerals and poly-phenol antioxidants than fresh grapes.
- -Like the fresh grape, they also contain phytochemical compound resveratrol. Resveratrol, a polyphenol anti-oxidant, has anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, blood cholesterol lowering activities. Studies suggest that resveratrol has been found to have protective action against cancers like melanoma, colon and prostate, and diseases such as coronary heart disease (CHD), degenerative nerve disease, Alzheimer’s disease and viral/ fungal infections.
- -Resveratrol reduces stroke risk by altering the molecular mechanisms in the blood vessels. It does so firstly by reducing susceptibility of blood vessels damage through decreased activity of angiotensin (a systemic hormone causing blood vessel constriction that would elevate blood pressure) and secondly, through increased production of the vasodilator substance, nitric oxide (a beneficial compound that causes relaxation of blood vessels).
- -Studies suggest moderate fiber in the diet help lower body weight, cholesterol levels in the blood, and colon and breast cancer incidence as well as constipation episodes by decreasing GI transit time of food. Furthermore, they are also abundant in flavonoid compounds such as tartaric acid, tannins, catechins…etc. Together with inulin and fiber; these compounds aid in smooth bowel movements through their laxative function.
- -They are gluten-free and cane be consumed by gluten intolerant people and is commonly used as a healthy alternative.
- -Raisins are dense sources minerals like calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium copper, fluoride, and zinc. Copper and manganese are an essential co-factor of antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase. 100 g provides 23% daily requirement levels of iron.
- -They are rich in heart-healthy electrolyte potassium. 100 g provide 749 mg of potassium. Potassium reduces heart rate, blood pressure by countering sodium and thereby helps prevent stroke, CHD, and peripheral vascular diseases.
- -They are also a good source of some B-complex vitamins such as thiamin, pyridoxine, riboflavin, and pantothenic acid.
- Product of Australia
Nutritional Information (per 100g serve):
|Dimensions||16.0 × 6.5 × 18.5 cm|